There are all sorts of toppers for your mattress. A memory foam topper isn’t like a wool or latex topper. It requires more specific cleaning. Cleaning your topper is one vital thing that you ought to do once every couple of weeks. This will make it better to sleep on and you will feel fresh waking up. but how to clean a memory foam mattress topper?
in this article we’ll go over the 5 most common and effective methods. Beware! Because memory foam is a delicate material, there are also some things that you shouldn’t clean it with. As that will ruin the material and beneficial effects of the topper. So how exactly do you clean a topper from memory foam?
How to clean a memory foam mattress topper?
Toppers should be cleaned as part of regular maintenance. This can be once a month, or once every 2 weeks, depending on how fresh you like to sleep. Another instance when you want to clean it, is when something got spilled on it or it got dirty in any other way.
Here are the 5 most common methods for cleaning your topper:
This is the most obvious way of cleaning. Simply put the topper on a flat surface and go over it with a vacuum cleaner. This will take out all the dust that tends to gather in the topper. Make sure that the lower part of your vacuum is clean though!
baking soda is a great product that has thousands of great uses. You can also use it to clean memory foam. It’s especially effective to remove stains – as it’s a more spot approach. Here’s how you do it:
- Add baking soda to water (1:2). Make sure the water is cold and mix it until the soda has dissolved.
- Take a cloth and rub the mixture into the stain. Don’t feel shy and use enough.
- Leave it for about half an hour to let the soda do its magic.
- Take another cloth and dip it to remove the mixture.
- If not dry, take a dry cloth or paper to soak up the remaining mixture. Do not leave it to dry in the sun,
The same steps that you do with baking soda can also be repeated with detergent. The process is the same, so you can just add soe detergent to water. Then add it to the stain, leave it for half an hour and remove it. Be sure to only put the mattress topper back when it’s completely dry.
If a part is specifically dirty, and the previous 2 methods didn’t work, then you can use vinegar to remove the stain. As expected, the method for this works the same. you add some white vinegar with some water. Rub it on the stain, leave it for a while and then remove it.
if you want to wash the entire memory foam topper, than it’s better to only use water. The 3 previous methods are more stain- focused. When using water, be sure that it’s cold.
Place the topper on a flat surface (for example after vacuuming it), take a spray bottle with water and spray it all over the mattress. Leave it for a bit and roll the topper inwards (be sure not to squeeze or tumble dry!). Leave it in a shady area with some airflow to dry.
If you have a specifically icky strain that smells, then it’s also a good idea to use some form of odor neutralizer. Most of the time soda works well enough for this, but it can happen that your stain (and smell ) won’t go away with that. In this case it’s better to get a professional odor remover. A good one is van den Heuvel, as it can also be used to remove skunk stains. so it will surely work for kids pee or anything else on the mattress.
Avoid these mistake when cleaning your topper
There are several things you should never do when cleaning memory foam. You’ve already read some of them in the previous paragraphs. here’s a recap of what you shouldn’t to and why you shouldn’t do it:
- Never put your topper in a fumble dryer – this will ruin the consistency of the topper.
- Do not squeeze it – for the same reason.
- Make sure not completely dry the topper before placing it back – moisture in the topper will lead to mildew, which can be harmful if you sleep with it.
- It’s possible to use a hair dryer for drying, but put it a low setting and keep it far away – otherwise the heat will damage the surface foam cells.
- Do not dry the topper in direct sunlight – this will also damage the upper cells.
- Don’t use hydrogen peroxide – it will ruin the texture and color.
- Be sure to always use cold water – hot water can ruin the texture and foam cells.
A memory foam topper is more sensitive than most other types of toppers (latex, wool etc.), so you have to be extra careful.
Now that you’ve found out how to clean a memory foam mattress topper, you can go and clean it. I’d recommend you clean it for regular maintenance at least once per month with a vacuum cleaner and water.
And if you have a specific stain, then it’s good to try soda or detergent to make sure that the topper doesn’t get ruined.
if you have any questions on how to clean a memory foam mattress topper – which aren’t answered in this post – feel free to leave them in the comments. I’ll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
P.S. for a quick recap how to clean a memory foam mattress topper, it’s important to clean you memory foam topper once a while for regular maintenance. 5 common methods for this are vacuuming, water, soda, detergent and white vinegar. So the great thing is that you’ve already got everything at home. If a stain really smells badly, I recommend you get some van den Heuvel odor neutralizer to get rid of it.